As a gradually move myself into SharePoint development, I am sharing some tips on tuning up SharePoint development environment.
- Use virtual machine. If you can afford so, use VMWare Workstation, it has significant performance advantage over Microsoft’s Virtual PC
- Use Windows 2003 Server at least
- Add Command Prompt from Here in your Windows 2003 environment
- Add 12 Hive in Quick Launch area, you will need to navigate to the place many times
- Add 12 Hive bin directory to system path, so when you open Command Prompt, those utilities such as stsadm can be accessed from anywhere.
- Don’t install SharePoint server as standalone if you have access to SQL Server. The standalone option will install an instance of SQL 2005 Express which offers limited administration capability.